This morning I woke up thinking about the phrase “I can’t.” I thought of how it is often the first thing we say when our thoughts suggest we do something greater with our careers, talents, agility, and etc. Then, I considered how it tends to be an automatic response to any request that would require us to do something beyond what we know we are capable of doing. Finally, I thought about how insulting those words could be to a God who made it possible for you to do anything. For the sake of clarity, I am not suggesting anything ludicrous like becoming the first human fish; but I am saying you CAN do those things you desire that presently appear impossible. Here are five things you CAN do contrary to your upbringing, present circumstances, and in spite of your inner pessimist:
- You can become wiser. Proverbs 9:10 says, “The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.” According to the Bible, reverencing the Lord is the founding principle for acquiring wisdom and knowledge. Once you are in sync with the One who knows all things, believing you can actually do anything does not sound too far fetched. He has all the answers, and He knows how to get them to you. Do not be intimidated about going back to school or starting a new business venture. You have God, everything else can be learned through a book or taught by a teacher.
- You can become successful. Deuteronomy 8:18 (NLT) says, “Remember the Lord your God. He is the one who gives you power to be successful…” In this verse Moses is reminding the children of Israel to be mindful of where their success comes from so that they will never take credit for it. If you want success, make it a point to never forget who makes it possible. Once you understand who is your source of success, there will not be a need to compromise your integrity to gain more of it. You simply seek the source for ideas, and give your all to making them a reality in your life.
- You CAN get access to great people. Proverbs 18:16 (NLT) says, “Giving a gift can open doors; it gives access to important people.” If you want to come before “great” people keep a gift with you. Whether your gift is tangible or one given to you by your creator, have something to present! Extend your hands with something to give, and you will be recognized.
- You CAN endure anything life throws your way. The Apostle Paul informs us in Philippians 4:11-13,”…I have learned in whatever state I am in, to be content: I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and suffer need. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” Paul gives the anecdote for enjoying success and enduring sorrow in this life: JESUS CHRIST!!! If you want to get the most out of every experience in life take Jesus with you. By the time this life ends, you will not be disappointed because He is our Great Hope!
- You CAN be saved. Choosing whether or not to accept God’s gift of love to you will have an eternal effect on your life. Allow me to give you some insight into making life’s most important decision. In Mark 10, a rich young ruler becomes discouraged by what is required of him to inherit eternal life. He is asked to give up all he owns and give it to the poor. He chose his wealth and walked away. As followers of Jesus watched and probably empathized with the young man they asked, ” ‘Then who can be saved?’ 27 Jesus looked at them and said, “With man it is impossible, but not with God. For all things are possible with God.”’ It is GOD ALONE who makes our salvation possible. This is also the reason why salvation is offered to everyone. Regardless of one’s race, religious background, socioeconomic status, past sins, criminal record, and etc., God will accept you. He is not intimidated by your past transgressions; and he is not offended by your past doubts and declarations of Him never existing. If you desire salvation, YOU CAN HAVE IT!!! Simply pray this prayer or one similar to it:
God I receive your love gift of Jesus Christ dying for my sins. I repent for everything I have done that displeased you. I thank you for your forgiveness, and I confess you as Lord and Savior of my life. Thank you that I am now a citizen of your kingdom in Jesus name. Amen #welcometothefamily
For the Christian, CAN’T should be removed from our vocabulary. As it pertains to being successful, YOU CAN! As it pertains to obtaining wisdom, completing your degree, and starting a business, YOU CAN! YOU CAN get through the divorce, unemployment, and the death of a loved one. YOU CAN be forgiven of sin, free from condemnation, and walk in your purpose. YOU CAN love again, marry again, and be completely accepted. You are the child of an amazing God, so you can do amazing things. STOP talking yourself out of what you are capable of doing. God is your strength, and there is no failure in Him. Your success is inevitable, go for it! #YESYOUCAN